Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Five W's and an H.

I've been thinking a lot about life lately. About what it means to not just exist, but to live. Asking myself the big questions like "What is this all about?" "Why do I do the things I do?" "What happens to everything I've done, saved, created, etc when I die?"

I've been watching some videos at Ted.Com about life. "Ted" is a conference where the greatest minds in the world come together and just share their ideas about life, business, art, marketing, and everything else you could think of.

One particular video was of Rick Warren about worldviews and how we live. He talked about the in and out of life. Wake up, Work, Go Home, Watch T.V., Sleep, Rinse and Repeat. Then he said this isn't living, but simply existing.

Then he said, how we live, whether we exist or live, is really just evidence of our worldviews and values.

But, I'm sick of seeing videos of famous people, geniuses, and celebrities telling me what life is all about. So, I'm asking you, folks I HIGHLY respect and who's opinions matter dearly to me, what your personal values and what your worldview is. What defines your day to day living/existing? What gets you up in the morning? Why do you work where you work? What your goals? Things of that sort.

When you have some free time, PLEASE, take a couple of minutes to answer the next couple of questions:

1. Where do you work? Why? How'd you decided that what you do for a living is what you're going to do?
2. What are three things you value most?
3. Who are three relationships you'd give your life for? (You don't have to be too specific, simple answers like: my kids, or my wife/husband, my dog, will suffice.)
4. When do you wake up in the morning? And why? (I'm having a hard time not sleeping in since I work at night mostly, and all my hobbies can be done really in the middle of the night)
5. How do you go about making big decisions?

Again, you're all wonderful, beautiful people and I'm excited to hear back from you.

All The Love My Massive Heart Can Give,
tommy

1 comment:

  1. 1. I work as a driver at Domino's. I kind of ended up there because my boyfriend got a job there and they needed another driver. However, in the long run, I'd like to be a doctor or a nutritionist.
    2. I value honesty. I think the root of all evil in dishonesty-with yourself and with other people. I also value love. We have been given this great capacity to make connections with others, and love is the best thing EVER. I think personal time is going to be my number 3. As much as I love other people, I need to be alone to be able to truly value others.
    3. My lover, my sister, and my mom and dad, especially my dad right now because he just had a heart attack and needs a triple bypass.
    4. I actually have an insane sleep schedule right now, I sleep for about 4 hours between 9-3 p.m., wake up until about 7-8, then sleep until 11 or so. Depending on my work schedule though.
    5. I decide based on how I will feel about that decision in several years. If I feel that making a different decision will make me look back in a few years and say "Yea, I'm glad I did that instead of working," that's the decision I make. I don't want to live with regrets.

    ReplyDelete