Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Grab and Go

Okay, everybody take a seat. I'm going to share a part of my history that may shock and upset you...

Are you sitting?

Good.

Here it is...

Okay, I'm just not ready.

You can do it, Tommy. Deep breaths.

Here it goes: I used to be an athlete.

No, I was never a serious athlete, in fact, my athletic impulses are probably much similar to a mathlete. (I did compete in "Battle Of The Books" in middle school).

Let me tell you a story:

I ran cross country one season. Yes, my body type isn't really cut out for the long distance running, but I did it anyways. I really loved it. But, one day the athletic director came up to me after a practice, he had been watching. He pulled me aside and said these kind words: "Tommy, I'm very proud of you. You're doing something that most cannot, and these are lessons and skills you're going to have the rest of your life."

He was right.

But I abused his prophetic voice.

I no longer run distance,

but I am a marathon eater.

I woke up this morning with a passion to do well today. I said to myself: Tommy, if you have a mug of coffee, use soy milk. And then drink several cups of water afterwards.

I was good there.

Then youth group came. I said to myself: Tommy, one helping is all. And avoid the cake.

Not so good there.

I kept on grabbing and going. I'd walk past the cake and take a little bit of the yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy frosting. And a fork full of italian beef. And a drink of Cream Soda. Then, I'd walk around a bit, and then continue the process.

For three hours.

Like, I said: Marathon Eater.

---
DIET:
Breakfast - Coffee, no sugar, soy milk... very yummy. I craved some yogurt parfait with fresh fruit but couldn't afford it.
Lunch - Water. Three bites of italian beef.
Dinner - See above. And then some
Midnight snack - Piece of Frozen Pizza with Water

EXERCISE:
15 crunches (1 set of 10, 1 set of 5)
5 leg lifts

---
Regretting Either the Cake or the Crunches, I dunno,
All The Love My Massive Heart Can Give,
tommy

5 comments:

  1. here's yesterday's:

    breakfast: greek coffee mmmmmm
    lunch: free arby's roastburger, they put mayo on the bottom, so i only ate the top half
    dinner: chicken, 2 rolls, peas, sweet potato, lemon crunch pie (thanks mom!)
    snack: movie theater popcorn
    exercise: wolverine

    not such a great day huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. breakfast: i could go for some of that stuff, now that my taste buds are changing for the better for coffee.
    lunch: i heard about the free arby's roastburger, and i really wanted it, i did good.
    dinner: awesome...

    but the other parts: yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fall under Marathon Eater too. Today however, was interesting, since I was in Chicago for an audition.

    Breakfast: A cup of coffee and a bottle of water. Not too smart, but I was nervous for the audition and didn't want to eat.

    Lunch: Quarter Pounder with Cheese...and a chocolate shake...what was I thinking?

    Then I ran 2-2 1/2 miles in town, so I felt better.

    Dinner: So far, I just ate an orange, and will now probably have a bowl of spaghetti. Mmm.

    How does the world want us to eat healthy when they make it easier to not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean,
    Dude, I feel you.

    How does the world want us to eat healthy when the make it easier to not?

    We should change the entire western culture. You and I.

    Much Love,
    tommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on western culture.
    We could all just move for our health. To japan or something.
    But then the world might get lopsided.

    ReplyDelete