Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why Didn't Anybody Ever Tell Me Vending Machines Were Stocked With Mostly Unhealthy Foods

No, seriously. I've never really noticed or cared before, but it sure does making snack time difficult when you're on a tight budget.

I was at school today, taking the last test of the semester, and I figured a bit of a snack would be helpful to calm some nerves and easy that growling of the beast within. My stomach always makes strange noises, hungry or not. But these noises were kind of "feed me" noises. So, I went to the vending machine hoping to find something that wouldn't be so horrible. I stood there for about 20 minutes contemplating. There was nothing. I thought maybe there would be a granola bar or something, not that those are very healthy, but they're healthy enough. But, no. There was almost nothing.

I moved on to the next vending machine.

Nothing.

Now I'm in a desperate state. My stomach is about to revolt on me and stage a mutiny. I don't know exactly what that would look like, but she was clearly getting pissed. So, I scanned row A, then row B, and so forth. Finally, with little to no hope left I scanned row E. There they were, multigrain baked chips. YAY! I spent the $.50 I needed to, and got little to nothing from them.

But, it led me to realize how hard this is.

One commenter a few days ago (Hey! Sean!) asked why our culture made it so hard to be healthy. Then, today I was discussing food options with a cook friend of mine, and it came down to expenses again.

Eating is becoming very costly, unless you like Go-gurt! and other fake foods. I normally do. But, things need to change.

---

DIET:
BREAKFAST 1: Yogurt with granola (quickly becoming a favorite dish)
BREAKFAST 2 (No, lunch): Bagel with peanut butter.
SNACK: Multigrain baked chips
DINNER: Spaghetti with meatballs.
DESSERT: 6 Tootsi Rolls
DESSERT 2: Mozzarella rolls with basil and pruschetto, Eden cheese, french bread.

EXERCISE:
3 sets:
- 10 crunches
- 3 leglifts

NEW FEELINGS:
Trying not to throw up DESSERT 2 during EXERCISE.

---

New Challenges:
I'm giving up soda pop. So, starting tomorrow (I would've started today, but I've already failed) I'm going to post how many days I've gone without pop. I'll keep this post going for 30 days. If I drink a soda, I start back at zero. My goal is to make 30 days by June 10th.

I'll along with how many days without pop I've gone, I'm going to keep track of how many ounces of water I drank that day. A doctor I used to work for told me that people need to drink half their weight in ounces of water everyday. That means I need to drink about 120 ounces of water each day.

---

All The Love My Massive Heart Can Give,
tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment